Journal for Clay
I've been thinking about how I can make the Kickstarter portion of the project an optional component, and I think I've got it figured out.
Kickstarter would determine the scope of the final project's distribution. If a Kickstarter for the project fails, the project will remain completely educationally based. The final product(s) will not be released outside of the school without extra permission from the artists.
- If someone wanted to use a song that they solo'ed on for a demo reel, that could be fair use.
- If artists were willing, we could release individual songs as singles from the project
If the Kickstarter IS funded, then the scope gets much larger.
- I get permission from the artist(s) to release the project as a derivative works collection on iTunes/Spotify/Amazon
- Mechanical usage rights handled by 3rd party company (Too much maintenance work for a student venture)
- Product goes to duplication as CD's will be a backer bonus
- Stretch goals can allow me to pay for a better-quality final product, including paying myself!